Clinical Services

We're here to answer your questions: 304-257-4922

Mission Statement:
The mission of the Grant Tobacco Prevention Program is to eliminate tobacco use and its consequences, including exposure of nonsmokers to tobacco smoke throughout Grant County. This mission will be accomplished through a comprehensive tobacco control plan that is effective, acceptable to the public, cost-efficient, and self-perpetuating. The mission statement states that the four main goals will be to make the elimination of tobacco use the number one public health priority, improve communities’ abilities to provide resources for tobacco control activities, increase the influence of legal and economic factors that discourage tobacco use, and strengthen social norms and values supporting tobacco-free behavior.

Our Goals:

  • Decrease morbidity and mortality from tobacco in Grant County.
  • Reduce the prevalence of tobacco use among youth in Grant County.
  • Decreased exposure to ETS in the workplace.
  • Increase the number of adults and youth who attend tobacco cessation classes. 

 
Helpful Facts:

  • Smoke-filled rooms can have up to six times the pollution of a crowded highway.
  • A nonsmoker working in a smoke-filled room for eight hours will breathe as many cancer-causing chemicals as if he or she had smoked 36 cigarettes.
  • When someone lights a cigarette, the smoker inhales only 15% of the smoke. The other 85% becomes secondhand smoke. A child breathing secondhand smoke is exposed to the same cancer-causing chemicals as the smoker.
  • Smoke from cigarettes, cigars, and pipes can cause serious health problems--not only for smokers, but for nonsmokers too.
Tobacco Prevention Program